Thursday, May 17, 2018

Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near.

Isaiah 55

Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near. v6

John Piper calls this chapter The Great Invitation. This invitation must be treated with urgency as God's patience is not unlimited.  A few days ago, my reading and post reminded me how we live as foreigners in this world, and how we should focus on the eternity of God and His promises for us.

As I posted yesterday, we all need a Savior and Christ is that Savior.

I think about this quite often with respect to my teenage son who has yet to accept Jesus Christ as His Savior.  I believe I may have set the bar high for him to invite Jesus into his life.  Yet God makes it easy - all are welcome - just as they are as God knows all about us anyway so we don't come to Him with shame but with confidence (Hebrews 4:16).

We should not study God as an intellectual exercise - we should study God to experience Him.

"God is not a thing to be studied. He is a person to be experienced." John Piper

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God worthy of my study and I desire to experience You - to know You.  I need You...desperately...I too often focus on this world and I don't want to be entangled by sin.  I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.