Thursday, June 6, 2019

Why do you stare at us as if by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk?

Acts 3

Why do you stare at us as if by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk? v12

In Acts 3 we see Peter's healing of a lame man and Peter's reaction to those who see Peter as having some special power. Peter's reaction and subsequent speech (including defense in front of the Sanhedrin in Acts 4) shows the difference the Holy Spirit makes in the life of Peter, who previously was held captive by fear of being recognized as with Jesus (see full chapters from references here). In less than 2 months time Peter is transformed into the leader of the new church through Jesus reinstatement (John 21) and the Holy Spirit.

Over the course of the last week or so, I've been posting on the power of the Holy Spirit and in Peter's transformation from ordinary fisherman and follower of Jesus to bold leader of the new church. This offers us great encouragement for those of us called to do God's work - it is not through us that we ever accomplish anything but instead through Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

My Prayer: Jesus, You provide The Holy Spirit and it is an amazing gift among many You provide and You bless me far more than I deserve - thank You Jesus!  Yet again I am undeserving.  I gossip, worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.