Saturday, February 1, 2020

Abraham answered, “God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.”... So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.”

Genesis 22-23

Abraham answered, “God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.”... So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.” Genesis 22:8,14

Day 9 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on God's call to Abraham to sacrifice Issac and the death of Sarah.

God makes of Abraham what all of us would describe as an unimaginable request - that we sacrifice our own flesh and blood.  Yet scripture has no record of Abraham's anguish over this request.  Abraham has great faith that God will provide or as John Piper refers to as providence.  While we don't know for certainty what Abraham experienced we do see enough confidence and trust in God that without knowing HOW He will provide, Abraham believes or has faith that He WILL provide.

My commentary* speculates that Abraham "evidently believed that God would raise Isaac from the dead, if necessary, in order to fulfill his promise".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Regardless of how Abraham arrived at his faith, the fact of the matter is that He did have faith in God's providence.  He rested in God's promise that He would create from Abraham's descendants a great nation.

We can be encouraged by such faith - that we don't always have to know the HOW a promise will unfold but that God always keeps His promises - He is faithful.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are faithful indeed - I have seen Your goodness in difficult circumstances and I know that You will never leave or forsake me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  I worry and I have other sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.