Saturday, July 25, 2020

"I will praise you, Lord. Although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforted me. Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.”


"I will praise you, Lord. Although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforted me. Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.” Isaiah 12:1-2

Day 180 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my study of the prophecies of Isaiah.  This morning my commentary* describes Isaiah's prophecies (1) God's anger against those who claim to follow God commands for justice but don't in practice (Isaiah 10:1-4), (2) God's anger for Assyria who has overrun the northern kingdom of Israel (Isaiah 10:5-19), (3) how God will save the few faithful in Israel and Judah - referring to them as the remnant (Isaiah 10:20-23), (4) how God will help Israel and Judah overcome captivity (Isaiah 10:24-34), (5) of the coming Messiah (Isaiah 11:1-16), and (6) how Israel and Judah will praise God for deliverance from captivity (Isaiah 12:1-6).

My commentary also discusses King Ahaz's (Judah) response to Isaiah's prophecies: "Ahaz must surely consider Isaiah a crazy dreamer. He probably does not even begin to understand Isaiah’s message regarding the coming Messiah. Moreover, he does not have enough faith in God to believe that he could actually defeat Israel and Syria (and even Assyria, if necessary) simply by trusting God. Foolishly, Ahaz will trust his own military strength instead".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Because Ahaz does not fully trust in the Lord - Judah is defeated by Israel and Syria (2 Kings 16 and 2 Chronicles 28) and taken captive by Israel.  What is remarkable about this turn of events is how God convicts the hearts of Israel to return the Judean captives:

But a prophet of the Lord named Oded was there, and he went out to meet the army when it returned to Samaria. He said to them, “Because the Lord, the God of your ancestors, was angry with Judah, he gave them into your hand. But you have slaughtered them in a rage that reaches to heaven. And now you intend to make the men and women of Judah and Jerusalem your slaves. But aren’t you also guilty of sins against the Lord your God? Now listen to me! Send back your fellow Israelites you have taken as prisoners, for the Lord’s fierce anger rests on you.”  Then some of the leaders in Ephraim—Azariah son of Jehohanan, Berekiah son of Meshillemoth, Jehizkiah son of Shallum, and Amasa son of Hadlai—confronted those who were arriving from the war. “You must not bring those prisoners here,” they said, “or we will be guilty before the Lord. Do you intend to add to our sin and guilt? For our guilt is already great, and his fierce anger rests on Israel.” 2 Chronicles 28:9-13

Ahaz's unfaithfulness and how he led Judah into sin is summarized:

The Lord had humbled Judah because of Ahaz king of Israel, for he had promoted wickedness in Judah and had been most unfaithful to the Lord. Tiglath-Pileser king of Assyria came to him, but he gave him trouble instead of help. Ahaz took some of the things from the temple of the Lord and from the royal palace and from the officials and presented them to the king of Assyria, but that did not help him. 2 Chronicles 28:19-21

This morning I see God's message how we must  maintain a heart of worship and gratitude towards Him as a core spiritual discipline.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who HAS and IS ALWAYS doing great things for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God.  I worry and have other sin. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.