Sunday, July 26, 2020

You have forgotten God your Savior; you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress. Therefore, though you set out the finest plants and plant imported vines, though on the day you set them out, you make them grow, and on the morning when you plant them, you bring them to bud, yet the harvest will be as nothing in the day of disease and incurable pain.


You have forgotten God your Savior; you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress. Therefore, though you set out the finest plants and plant imported vines, though on the day you set them out, you make them grow, and on the morning when you plant them, you bring them to bud, yet the harvest will be as nothing in the day of disease and incurable pain. Isaiah 17:10-11

Day 181 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my study of the prophecies of Isaiah. This morning my focus is Isaiah's judgement of Israel and Judah's neighbors. My commentary* reminds me how King Ahaz of Judah (2 Kings 16) "[became] "a vassal to Assyria, paying tribute and doing in effect whatever Assyria demands".  It also goes on describe the implications of Judah's dependence on Assyria and how God uses Isaiah to deliver a judgement and warning to neighboring nations: "[d]ependence upon Assyria has become necessary because Judah is once again vulnerable to the Edomites and Philistines. Although Isaiah knows that invasions by foreign nations are part of God’s plan for punishing Judah, he is also aware that these nations are acting from their own wicked motivations, and that God will ultimately bring about their destruction as well. Therefore Isaiah pronounces God’s judgment against several nations at this and later times".

Isaiah delivers judgements and warnings to "all nations" (Isaiah 34), including Assyria (Isaiah 14), Moab (Isaiah 15-16), and Syria (Isaiah 17).  

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Once again, as I posted yesterday, I am reminded how important it is to worship and go to God daily so that we can remember all that God has done for us and maintain a heart of gratitude.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has paid the ultimate sacrifice - for me - and You continue to and always will be there for me doing so much for me.  I know that You will never leave or forsake me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God.  I worry, am full of anger and often harsh with others.  PLEASE forgive me Jesus.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.