Saturday, June 26, 2021

But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 6

 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:22-23

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved on to chapter eight Raised to Walk in Newness of Life, which covers Romans 6.  My focus today is Romans 6:11-23 which my commentary refers to under the heading Actions We Must Take. In these verses, Paul encourages us to avoid the path of following our temptations into sin - as posted yesterday, our new identity in Christ means we are to leave behind our old self in experience a life in union with Him. We become "dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus" (v11).  Paul then reminds us to avoid antinomianism where we adopt an attitude of permissiveness to sin (v15). Paul moves on to describe how we become more obedient to God and it is through Him - not of our own doing - see also my post during my reading of Piper's Providence.  Look closely at v17 where Paul says:

But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed[.]

Paul thanks God for our obedience and it is through the sanctification process where we are daily in union with Christ and reading/studying God's word.  In v20-23, to help us see the consequences of sin vs life in Christ, Paul's contrasts the two writing how we may perceive freedom in a life of sin but instead we are slaves to sin and there is "no fruit" - plus and even worse we are condemned. 

My commentary urges us to "make war with sin" as God hates sin. We are also encouraged to see how grace is not just a gift but a power - based on our response to God's overwhelming love we seek to please Him.  My commentary ends by reminding us that with Christ we have superior benefits vs a life of sin and we are to submit to Him daily, allowing Him to do a work in us so that in return we are progressively sanctified and increasingly worshiping Him. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed an amazing God and I see Your grace as not just a gift but power...power to become more like You and to please You in service and love. Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  I continue to sin...anger, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.