Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.

Romans 5:12-21

Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come. Romans 5:12-14

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved on to chapter seven Christ's Triumph Over Sin and Death, which covers Romans 5:12-21.  My focus today is Romans 5:12-14 which my commentary refers to as The Conflict. Paul contrasts the life of Adam and that of Christ and the implications for all of both of their lives (and Christ's death). Paul refers to Adam as "a type of the one who was to come" - clearly referencing Jesus.  Like no others, these two lives led to consequences for all that followed, with Adam giving us sin and death and Jesus giving us forgiveness and justification, and of course life to the full now (John 10:10) and eternity in Heaven. 

My commentary describes this v12-21 as a contrast in the "grand story of redemption." It quotes Schreiner who states: "Adam and Christ are two of the most influential individuals in human history, and believers can take confidence because they belong to one who has overturned all that Adam introduced into the world."  It goes on to describe how the word "one" is used twelve times in v12-21, implying that there is either an "identification with Adam and/or with Christ....The major emphasis [of v12-21] is not on Adam's failure but on Christs triumph over sin and death."

Specifically in v12-14, my commentary examines the "great conflict" between sin and death as "Adam's fall introduced sin and death into the world." We are to notice the sequence in v12 (1) "sin entered the world through Adam, (2) death entered the world through sin, and (3) death spread to all humans because all sinned....[t]he effects of Adam's sin are universal."  Paul points to Jesus and I will explore more of this tomorrow starting in v15. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who died for me - giving me freedom from the sting of sin and death - thank You Jesus!  The greatest gift of all time - I am not deserving of such a gift...or of any of the blessings that You pour out for me.  My sin continues...worry, anger, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.