Sunday, June 27, 2021

Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God.

Romans 7

Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God. Romans 7:4

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved on to chapter nine Wretched Man, Wonderful Messiah, which covers Romans 7.  My focus today is Romans 7:1-6.  In these six verses, Paul builds on chapter 6 (see post yesterday and previous posts) he writes how believers are no longer slaves or dead to sin but are reborn and alive in Christ. He helps unpack this by helping us see how through an earthly death, you may experience freedom from the law (see v1-3).  Now, Paul wants us to better understand both the benefit of dying to sin and being alive in Christ but also the purpose - we escape condemnation and we "bear fruit for God" (v4). 

We exist to bear fruit for God - to glorify Him...and why would not desire to for all that He has done for us!

My commentary reminds me that for Jews in Rome reading Paul's letter, that Paul seeks to confirm with them that all scripture matters, and that Christ is the fulfillment of the law.  He does not want Jews to not believe as he "weeps over Jewish unbelief." The commentary goes on to encourage us to see the application as believers are no longer "wed" to the (Mosaic) law as our old selves died when Christ died on the cross for us and we accepted Him as our Lord and Savior.  We are wed to Christ and in union with Christ (see this post).  We are also to see the consequences or benefit of this union as fruit of the Spirit. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who rescued me from my sin and gave me new life!  Thank You Jesus! The greatest gift of all time - I am undeserving of such a gift and of all the blessings You pour out for me.  I have anger and other sins that continue every day.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.