Saturday, September 11, 2021

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

 Leviticus 5

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing with chapter five - Five Eternal, Counter Cultural Truths about God, Us and Our Sin - covering Leviticus 5:1-13, looking specifically at the theme Transgressing God's Law is Sin. Here, my commentary focuses on our proper response to sin when we are made aware of our sin.  We are to confess and to ask forgiveness - to seek atonement from God.  God gives all of us a conscience, the Word (the Law) and our brothers and sisters in Christ to help us see our sin. Today's verses mention the words  "realizes his guilt" five times and such emphasis highlights the need for confession and atonement. Several sins are described including failure to speak up as a witness to a crime or "indifferent silence" (v5:1), "prolonged impurity" (v5:2-3), and "an unfulfilled promise" (v5:4). The implications of these sins are discussed, including injustice, extended separation from God, and keeping one's word with regard to promises made to God in the context of marriage vows and other vows made before God. Sin offerings are described, including options for those of lesser means. We should recognize that there are no unrighteous laws, that God's law is perfect - nothing should be added or removed - and that it is only through God that we have forgiveness, reconciliation to God, and an ability to be obedient to God.  

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides a means for understanding my sin and for atonement of this sin - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of this or any of the other blessings You pour out for me.  My sin continues - anger, impatience, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.