Friday, September 17, 2021

“If anyone sins, doing any of the things that by the Lord's commandments ought not to be done, though he did not know it, then realizes his guilt, he shall bear his iniquity."

 Leviticus 5-6

“If anyone sins, doing any of the things that by the Lord's commandments ought not to be done, though he did not know it, then realizes his guilt, he shall bear his iniquity." Leviticus 5:17

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing with chapter six - When We Are Guilty - covering Leviticus 5:14-6:7, looking specifically at the theme - We Are Guilty When We Disobey a Command of God.  Here, the commentary stresses unintentional sin, which is explicitly discussed in v5:14, 17-18.  It states that we sin unintentionally all the time - we often refer to these as mistakes, but these are sins nonetheless. We are urged to step back to see the extent of the details in Leviticus as laid out by God as commands that we are to follow.  Yet, the commentary then states regarding the Israelites' ability to keep all of these commandments: "[i]t was easy to make a mistake by forgetting or not knowing about a particular law."  V15 is called out with its reference to "holy things" and the commentary describes these as "all the things set apart for use in the sanctuary--shovels, utensils, and pans used in offering sacrifices and preparing incense. Those things were holy in that they were reserved only for use in the sanctuary." The commentary writes about how easy it must have been to miss a detail - unintentionally - about these commands.  We are urged to see how we - just as those living during the time when the Old Testament sacrificial system was in place were - are human and prone to mistakes and imperfection.  Only God is perfect and Holy. We are also urged to not question God's laws as He is the authority and He gets to make the rules, just as a parent does with a child.  There are no imperfect laws from God as He is perfect and Holy. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and whose laws are perfect and good for me.  All that You do is good and good for me.  I am undeserving of how You bless me.  I have sin such as worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.