Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

Leviticus 12

Know that the Lord, he is God!  It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Psalm 100:3

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - starting chapter twelve - God Rules from Our Birth - covering Leviticus 12:1-8, looking specifically at the first theme - God Commands Celebration of Childbirth.  Here, the commentary focuses on the purification laws for mothers following childbirth as described in Leviticus 12.  The commentary makes it clear that these laws of course do not imply that childbirth is a sin, or that the mother did anything sinful; the commentary also emphasizes that these laws should not detract from God's view that childbirth is cause for celebration.  We are encouraged to refer to Genesis 1:28, Psalm 100:3, and 127:4-5, as three examples of many where childbirth is celebrated, and where we can stand Biblically against the sin of abortion. The commentary also contrasts blood during childbirth vs blood during sacrifices made for atonement; "[p]eople became unclean by sin and their association with anything that resembled or represented the realm of death.  In the case of childbirth, childbirth involves blood, blood was associated with death, so childbirth rendered women [ritually] unclean because of the blood.  The only blood God allowed in the tabernacle was sacrificial blood, the blood of animals shed for the purpose of atonement. Everything else that had to do with death was kept separate from the tabernacle.  Thus, childbirth rendered a woman ritually unclean but not morally unclean." 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God, worthy of my praise and worship - You made me and everyone else and Your design and Your works are incredible and You make no mistakes.  We are all fearfully and wonderfully made....and You knit all of us together.  Thank You Jesus! I am not deserving of how You made me, my family, and all those I know - all blessings.  My sin of worry continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.