Friday, October 29, 2021

Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

 Leviticus 17 

Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. Hebrews 13:15-16

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - starting chapter fifteen - Laws of Worship Prefiguring Christ - covering Leviticus 17:1-16, looking specifically at the second theme for the chapter - God Commands Us How to Worship Him.  Here, the commentary, as the theme explicitly states, focuses on how God wants us to worship Him.  In the Old Testament, specifically in Leviticus, God lays out the the sacrificial system, and here in Leviticus 17, God lays out the place and manner in which sacrificed animals were to be offered.  The commentary states "God did not allow His people to offer personal sacrifices any way they wanted to offer them, any place the wanted to offer them.  God still expects us to worship Him according to His Word, not according to our desires." The commentary then pivots to the new covenant believers have with Jesus Christ, and how "God has abolished His old covenant laws about worship....However, God gives worship commands in the new covenant too."  The commentary provides the following scriptural examples in the New Testament for how God commands us to worship Him:

  • Hebrews 10:25: meet together for corporate worship
  • John 4:24: worship Him in spirit and truth (based on God's Word)
  • Psalm 95:1: worship through songs of praise
  • Hebrews 13:15-16: worship through words of praise and through sacrifice of time, talents, and money; gifts that glorify Him

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God and You are worthy of my worship and praise - non stop!  My white hot worship!  You do so much for me and of course You died for me!  I am not deserving of such blessings - not by a long shot.  My sin continues - grumbling and complaining, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for today and every day.