Sunday, October 17, 2021

To the woman he said, “I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children. Your desire shall be contrary to your husband, but he shall rule over you.” And to Adam he said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife and have eaten of the tree of which I commanded you, ‘You shall not eat of it,’ cursed is the ground because of you; in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life[.]

Leviticus 13-15

To the woman he said, “I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children. Your desire shall be contrary to your husband, but he shall rule over you.” And to Adam he said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife and have eaten of the tree of which I commanded you, ‘You shall not eat of it,’ cursed is the ground because of you; in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life[.] Genesis 3:16-17

This afternoon, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - starting chapter thirteen - Unclean! - covering Leviticus 13-15, looking specifically at the first theme - Sickness Exists Because Sin Exists.  The introduction to the this chapter of the commentary starts by stating the main idea we should explore for Leviticus chapters 13-15: "God is interested in every detail of our lives, including our illnesses.  Illness exists because sin exists, but God takes away our sin through Jesus, and God gives us an eternal future in heaven where no sickness exists."  For the commentary's theme for today - Sickness Exists Because Sin Exists - we are reminded that God created a perfect world for Adam and Eve, but because of their disobedience, we have not just the original sin that impacted Adam (Genesis 3:17) and Eve (Genesis 3:16), but sin for all of humanity for the remainder of humanity's time on earth.  While God's hand and design might not provide any comfort for those impacted by illness and pain, it is important to recognize that illness and pain are just as much a part of life as anything else we experience.  Believers can rest in knowing that God is in all things (Colossians 1:15-17), including our illness and pain, and that even though we will have tribulation, we can "take heart; [because Jesus has] overcome the world" (John 16:33).

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who gives me strength to get through difficult times of pain and illness - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You never leave or forsake me.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.