Saturday, April 9, 2022

(“Behold, I am coming like a thief! Blessed is the one who stays awake, keeping his garments on, that he may not go about naked and be seen exposed!”)

Revelation 15-16

(“Behold, I am coming like a thief! Blessed is the one who stays awake, keeping his garments on, that he may not go about naked and be seen exposed!”) Revelation 16:15 

I resumed my D-Group's study of Revelation using Stephen Witmer's commentary and study guide.  For this week, the study looks at Revelation 15-16.  For today, I focus on Revelation 16 and the seven bowls of God's wrath.  In between the sixth and seventh bowl, God pauses to warn believers to stay awake and be ready for when He returns.  We must not have lukewarm faith (see warning to the church in Laodicea in Revelation 3) or be demonstrating any of the other the sins described in Revelation 2-3.  In light of how believers do not know when Jesus will return, scripture contains similar warnings to be ready.

“But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only. For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. Then two men will be in the field; one will be taken and one left. Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken and one left. Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. Matthew 24:36-44

‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’ Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour. Matthew 25:12-13

Such warnings are acts of mercy from a God that wants to save as many as possible - take heed! 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Thank You Jesus for mercy and grace - I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin continues and it is daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.