Wednesday, May 11, 2022

“Ah, stubborn children,” declares the Lord, "who carry out a plan, but not mine, and who make an alliance, but not of my Spirit, that they may add sin to sin; who set out to go down to Egypt, without asking for my direction, to take refuge in the protection of Pharaoh and to seek shelter in the shadow of Egypt!

Isaiah 30-32

“Ah, stubborn children,” declares the Lord, "who carry out a plan, but not mine, and who make an alliance, but not of my Spirit, that they may add sin to sin; who set out to go down to Egypt, without asking for my direction, to take refuge in the protection of Pharaoh and to seek shelter in the shadow of Egypt! Isaiah 30:1-2

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series. Today, I started Lesson 12, beginning with Day 1, which again focuses on Isaiah 30. With an invasion from Assyria pending, Israel faced limited options, which my commentary describes as (a) fighting on its own (and likely getting slaughtered), (b) aligning with a neighboring Gentile nation such as Egypt, (c) relying on God for deliverance and salvation.  Israel proceeds with an alliance with Egypt, and also seeks self-serving council from prophets (or seers - v10) who refuse to confront sin. God wants Israel's future generations to see the hardness of heart so he instructs Isaiah to write his prophecy on a tablet (v8). Self-salvation is a dangerous path - of course a path the leads to eternal damnation. Viewing others in terms of "what they bring to the table" is core to such a sinful path.  V5 describes the folly:

[E]veryone comes to shame through a people that cannot profit them, that brings neither help nor profit, but shame and disgrace. Isaiah 30:5

In this case, Israel's association with Egypt took them away from God. We must surround ourselves with others who sharpen us and point us to God.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who never leaves or forsakes me, and who delivers and rescues me - You are my personal Lord and Savior - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such salvation. My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.