Monday, May 9, 2022

The meek shall obtain fresh joy in the Lord, and the poor among mankind shall exult in the Holy One of Israel. For the ruthless shall come to nothing and the scoffer cease, and all who watch to do evil shall be cut off, who by a word make a man out to be an offender, and lay a snare for him who reproves in the gate, and with an empty plea turn aside him who is in the right.

Isaiah 28-29

The meek shall obtain fresh joy in the Lord, and the poor among mankind shall exult in the Holy One of Israel. For the ruthless shall come to nothing and the scoffer cease, and all who watch to do evil shall be cut off, who by a word make a man out to be an offender, and lay a snare for him who reproves in the gate, and with an empty plea turn aside him who is in the right. Isaiah 29:19-21

I resumed my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series. Today, looking at Isaiah 28-29, I move along to Lesson 11, Day 4, which focuses on Isaiah 29 and God's judgement of spiritual hypocrisy. My commentary uses a very helpful analogy to see how God cures such spiritual hypocrisy - surgery. "All surgeries involve cutting through healthy tissue to reach the unhealthy....In a similar way, the Great Physician of Souls must often hurt his people in order to heal them."  The commentary then goes on to state the "common themes" of heart issues that "arise in every generation":

  • spiritual blindness (v29:9-12)
  • cold-hearted worship (v29:13)
  • worldly wisdom (v29:14-16)

We cannot fully understand God's thoughts or ways (Isaiah 55:8), but we should know that God is always at work, and that "for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28).  In Isaiah 29, we should view God's judgement and punishment of Israel as an example of how harsh discipline is often needed for our own good, but that does not mean that God does not love His people and for those that return to Him, He will welcome them just as He does with the Prodigal Son.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father - what a great God You are that You welcome us back, even as we sin.  You punish and discipline us out of love - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of the second chances You provide - the amazing grace - particularly the salvation You provide.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.