Tuesday, October 11, 2022

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved[.]

Ephesians 1

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved[.] Ephesians 2:4-5

I pause my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series, to study Ephesians for 3 days per week as I participate in a Discipleship (D) Group that is part of my church. This morning, my focus is Ephesians 1 in its entirety, with a specific focus as well on v1-14.  Chuck Swindoll provides this excellent overview of the book, and he describes how Paul writes this letter to the church in Ephesus from prison in Rome and how unlike other letters he has authored where he seeks to address a specific problem in a local church, here Paul is laying down foundational truths of the gospel with an eye towards encouraging growth and maturity of believers in Ephesus. In v1-14, Paul shares with us the spiritual blessings believers experience in Christ, including:

  • how "he chose us in him before the foundation of the world" (v4)
  • that He sees us as "holy and blameless before him" (v4)
  • that "he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ" (v5)
  • ..."In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses" (v7)
  • ..."In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it[.]" v13-14

We must grab hold of these blessings and drive towards maturity, never forgetting them.  Chuck Swindoll reminds us also that fellowship with other believers in daily living is key towards achieving maturity. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who blesses us as believers with a rich inheritance You give us faith and salvation, You seal us with the Holy Spirit and guarantee our inheritance - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great...and it is daily.  Please forgive me Jesus...and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.