Sunday, October 8, 2023

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

1 Corinthians 10

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 10:1-13. The main idea from the commentary*: "avoid sin by remembering God’s work in the past among the Hebrews and by depending on God’s faithfulness."  The introduction* describes this main idea by emphasizing v11 where Paul shares that Israel's failings to remain obedient to God - primarily (but not limited to) to love God above all others - described in the Old Testament are given to believers "for our instruction" to be prepared for when Jesus returns. The following divisions* are provided to unpack the text for today:   
  1. Spiritual Blessings Do Not Guarantee Us God’s Pleasure (10:1-5): Paul seeks to "draw parallels between Israel (our ancestors) and the church." Similar (a foretaste compared to the new covenant with Christ) to how Israel and Moses experienced rescue and blessings during the exodus, believers in Christ share salvation, "blessings and privileges from our God." One such blessing shared by both Israel and believer is how God was with Israel as the cloud during the day and a pillar of fire at night (Exodus 13:20-21). To describe how God delivered Israel - another blessing - "Paul draws an analogy between Moses (a type of Christ) leading the people to pass through the waters of the Red Sea and Christian baptism (Romans 6:1-14)." Paul then describes how Israel and believers in the church both ate "the same spiritual food" - all coming from God. Paul then moves from blessings to warning as just as God was not pleased with most of Israel in the wilderness (as many were either struck down or otherwise perished in the wilderness), God is not pleased with believers such as those practicing sexual immorality in Corinth.  Be on guard for sin creeping into your life. "This gets to the heart of Paul’s concern for the Corinthians and Paul’s concern for us. To begin well is no guarantee one will finish well."     
  2. Spiritual Blessings Do Not Insulate Us from Divine Judgment (10:6-10): The commentary describes another "history lesson" from Paul as the text points us to Numbers 11:18-34 where Israel got "too cozy" with sin.  Paul specifically warns us of idolatry (v7) and sexual immorality (v8) problems for both Israel (Numbers 25:1-9) and Corinth.  Paul continues as he compares how both Israel and Corinth tested God (v9) and how both grumbled against God (v10). God's anger burned against Israel and if believers are not on guard His anger will burn against us.  
  3. Spiritual Blessings Do Not Protect Us from Personal Temptations (10:11-13): Paul concludes the text for today by warning us against temptation while at the same time reminding us that Christ is the "way of escape" as He provides all we need to battle against sin.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who equips me with everything that I need to battle sin - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless me.  My sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.