Saturday, October 7, 2023

Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come.

1 Corinthians 10

Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come. 1 Corinthians 10:11

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - unaided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 10:1-13.  Here Paul pivots from the gospel being "of first importance" (see posts from previous two days) and how we are to exercise self-control and self-discipline in our race towards glorification, to warnings against idolatry, an acute problem in Corinth at the time.  According to John MacArthur, "some of the Corinthian Christians, in the name of Christian liberty, in the name of their so-called freedom in Christ, we’re attending idolatrous activities. They had decided that an idol is nothing, and they were right; an idol isn’t anything. The idol certainly isn’t the god they think it is, and that God really isn’t too concerned about those forms of ritual that people carry on, and that isn’t really what it appears to be.  And so, consequently, it’s kind of insignificant, and it wouldn’t hurt if the Christians kind of got involved." In today's text, Paul of course seeks to admonish those who wrongly think that just because idols - and do not compare to the One True God - are not real that it's not a big deal to pursue idol worship.  Paul first starts by reminding them how God was with the Israelites as they escaped Egypt and crossed the Red Sea on dry land.  All of this, including how Moses repeatedly served as intercessory for Israel, was provided as a foretaste of how Jesus would intercede on behalf of all humanity across all of redemptive history.  Believers share in the same (albeit Israel's experience was a shadow of things to come) experience of Israel that we have One who intercedes and serves as our Savior (vv1-4).  Paul then reminds us that despite God being One who abounds in love, He is a jealous God that commands us to love Him more than any others - thus His anger burned on many occasions in the Old Testament when Israel pursued idol worship and we are warned to avoid the fate Israel suffered when God's anger burned (vv5-12).  Paul then concludes the text for today by sharing the hope that only Jesus provides as He knows the temptations we face and if we remain in Him God is faithful to give us what we need to battle sin.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me.  Thank You Jesus!  Thank You for being faithful to me and giving me all I need to defend against temptation and sin.  I am not deserving of such blessings!  My sin is great and it often feels overwhelming...and it is daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.