Tuesday, April 30, 2024

But these people blaspheme all that they do not understand, and they are destroyed by all that they, like unreasoning animals, understand instinctively.

Jude

But these people blaspheme all that they do not understand, and they are destroyed by all that they, like unreasoning animals, understand instinctively. Jude 10

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of an unassisted review of Jude 8-10.  Building on previous verses, Jude warns those with little to no faith of not leaning into God or remaining in sin, as they will fall prey to the same damnation many in Israel did (see v5) as well as those willfully sinning knowing full well they are sinning (v7).  V8 warns of "defil[ing] the flesh, rejecting authority, and blasphem[ing] the glorious ones." While v9 for me at this time is not clear to me, v10 is more clear as it describes apostates as "not understand[ing that which they] blaspheme, and they are destroyed by...[God whom] they, like unreasoning animals, understand instinctively."  This is a reference to what is often referred to as "general revelation" (as opposed to special revelation from scripture - for more on this see here) which "God gives to every human being on earth. It’s general in the sense that it’s not limited to any specific group of people. It’s global, and it extends to every human being. The audience is general, and the information given is general as well....General revelation mediated through creation is clear enough that every single person knows God exists and, therefore, is without excuse. Immediate general revelation is revelation that is transmitted to every human being without an external medium. It’s internal, not external. It’s the revelation God plants in the soul of every person. God reveals his law in the mind of every human being by planting a conscience within each of us." Jude warns those who recognize God but reject Him that they will suffer eternally.  We are encouraged to grow in our faith so that we can withstand the devil's schemes and be steadfast until the end. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for revealing Yourself not just in creation but also through scripture, so that I can come to know You, grow closer to You, and become more like You.  Thank You for making me one of Your children, one of Your elect, then going further by sanctifying me...Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.