Saturday, April 20, 2024

For I rejoiced greatly when the brothers came and testified to your truth, as indeed you are walking in the truth.

 3 John 1

For I rejoiced greatly when the brothers came and testified to your truth, as indeed you are walking in the truth. 3 John 1:3

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my study consists of a commentary-assisted review of 3 John 1, focusing on the first division - vv1-8 and unpacking the introduction and main idea for the entirety of the chapter per the commentary, as well as the commentary for the first division.

Main idea (vv1-15): "As followers of Jesus, our lives and reputations ought to reflect His love, affection, and hospitality toward one another."

Excerpts from introduction

  • "Like 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, and Philemon, it is written to an individual, a man named Gaius. Written by John between AD 80 and 95, Eusebius, the ancient church historian, says it was penned after John was released from the rock quarry island of Patmos in the Aegean Sea. If this is correct, 3 John may have been the last book written in the New Testament."
  • John writes about four men, including Gaius, and the text highlights the importance of reputation for believers as the world is watching us to assess whether we are truly walking in the truth of simply talking the truth but then not walking the truth as many believers unfortunately do.

Title of text and highlights of associated commentary for first division: "Gaius: A Man with the Right Balance (1-8)":

  • John commends Gaius in four areas of his life, encouraging all believers to follow this example.  These four areas include: living in the Spirit (vv1-2), walking in the Truth (vv3-4), serving faithfully (vv5-6), and ministering generously (vv7-8).
  • Gaius had a clean bill of health spiritually. Perhaps he was suffering some physical difficulty, but his soul was “ship shape,” in top condition."
  • "In doctrine and deed, Gaius was commendable, praiseworthy, praiseworthy, and a joy to his brothers and sisters in Christ. There was no contradiction between his profession (talk) and practice (walk)."
  • "In providing lodging, food, money, encouragement, and prayer, and in standing with them even though they were “strangers,” Gaius had honored God, the gospel, and John. Sensitive to the hospitality expectations of the ancient Near Eastern world, Gaius had received these traveling teachers into his home and honored the Lord and the apostle who sent them."
  • "We may not physically go where [missionaries] go, but we can go with them anyway by our support. All pray. All give support. Some are sent. All are essential as we cooperate together in the work of God."
Much of today's text flows from v3 where we are encouraged by Gaius' example to walk in the truth and avoid hypocrisy.  If we are not walking in the truth, then all of the other attributes of Gaius' live praised by John don't apply. Walk the walk!
 
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - giving my faith and salvation, the Holy Spirit, Your Word, the church, and my brothers and sisters in Christ who guide me in my journey to bring glory to Christ and assist me in my journey towards walking the walk...thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.