Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth.

 3 John 1

Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth. 3 John 1:8

I continue my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books.  Today, my study consists of an unassisted review of 3 John 1, primarily looking vv1-8 which per the commentary is the first division for the 3 John 1. Here, John gives us an example of what he has been encouraging in his words from the previous chapter - to walk in the Truth. This example is Gaius. Gaius is walking in the truth - being obedient to God (v3).  John is greatly overjoyed to see this (v4).  He ministers to his brothers and sisters in Christ - offering hospitality, even those who are "strangers" (v5).  Gaius' hospitality and love is so striking - unworldly or supernatural we might say (v6).  John encourages Gaius in his role as a missionary and as someone who supports missionaries - adding that he should support (v7) those to whom he ministers as they are humble and not seeking gain for themselves instead seeking to save others (v8).  Believers must support other believers who are fellow workers for the truth. Help me be more like Gaius.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me...giving me brothers and sisters in Christ who support and encourage me in my journey with You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.