Saturday, June 29, 2024

For when dreams increase and words grow many, there is vanity; but God is the one you must fear.

Ecclesiastes 5

For when dreams increase and words grow many, there is vanity; but God is the one you must fear. Ecclesiastes 5:7

I resume (see last post on this) my study today of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of Ecclesiastes 5:7, which covers the second division of the commentary chapter titled Religion Is Meaningless without Jesus - this second division specifically is referred to in the commentary as Through Christ, We Can Approach God with Confident Reverence.  My last post on Ecclesiastes 5:1-6 discussed how inappropriate worship of God is sinful and how the American church is probably guilty of this sin more so than perhaps most other churches elsewhere around the world. V7 starts once again reiterating the futility of inappropriate and sinful worship, but ends with a pointer to God and how worship on His terms is where believers should focus.  We must remember that we exist to glorify God, so of course it should follow that our worship should reflect this purpose.  Our worship is about Him, not about us!  We should fear God (Proverbs 1:7), remember that all sin and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23, 1 John 1:8), be humble (Psalm 46:10), praise God for His great mercies (Lamentations 3:22-23), and surrender ourselves fully to God, allowing Him to work together with and through us for good and for His glory (Romans 8:28).  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for Your great mercies that are new every morning and that never cease - thank You also for my salvation. I am not deserving of such blessings - my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, apply and be obedient to Your message for me today and every day.