Thursday, June 27, 2024

“Peace to you, do not be afraid. Your God and the God of your father has put treasure in your sacks for you. I received your money.”

Genesis 42-44

“Peace to you, do not be afraid. Your God and the God of your father has put treasure in your sacks for you. I received your money.” Genesis 43:23

I maintain a pause on my study of Ecclesiastes to focus on Joseph, in particular Genesis 42-44, and I lean on the Christ-Centered Exposition Series volume for this book. Based on the commentary's breakdown of the divisions and subdivisions of this text (see post from Monday, 24JUN), I move on to the second division, which explores Genesis 43.  Here, after much consternation and hesitation about letting his remaining sons (less Simeon who remains detained in Egypt) return to Egypt with Benjamin, Jacob (Israel) relents to Judah's pleading (v11) as the famine is severe and they are in dire need of food (v1).  Upon the sons return to Egypt, they are warmly greeted by Joseph and invited in to dine (v16).  Not expecting such a warm greeting, the sons are fearful (v18) that they are being lulled into an ambush whereby they also will be taken captive just as Simeon is.   The steward of Joseph's house, apparently also a man of God as Joseph is, remarkably offers a message "do not be afraid" (v23) that calls to mind the same message from the angel Gabriel to Mary from Luke 1:30.  Joseph sees Benjamin and then weeps as he has yet to reveal his true identity to his brothers that do not recognize him - Joseph yearns to be reunited with his family (v30). At the meal they share, Joseph and his other brothers share pleasantries and conversation as the occasion is described as "merry" (v34).   

The commentary highlights a number of passages in the text, including (but not limited to)

  • Judah's pleading in more detail: "[t]he brothers must take Benjamin so that the family of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob “may live and not die” (v. 8; cf. 42:2). Indeed, Judah’s insistence in this matter is important because he is essentially pleading with his father to empower him to rescue their family from death by starvation. This foreshadows what Judah’s ultimate offspring, Jesus Christ, the bread of life, does for all those found in him (John 6:35; Hebrews 2:14-15)." Judah is then described in the commentary as taking full responsibility and becoming fully accountable for Benjamin (v9). 
  • Jacob's (Israel) recognition (v14) that God's favor is what is sought and this of course requires faith and trust in God
  • The reunion of all the brothers is described and compared to the parable of the prodigal son: "[a]t play in this moment are parallels with the parable Jesus would tell about the prodigal son (Luke 15). But rather than the runaway son knowingly coming home from a far country to his father to pursue reconciliation, here the wayward brothers leave their home unknowingly to enter a far-off country to reconcile with the son who was lost. Fittingly, it is Joseph—the one who was mistreated and suffered harm—who initiates reconciliation."
  • The dinner itself is portrayed as symbolic of the gospel message: "the dinner is a glimpse of the gospel. Think about what happens in this moment: a favored son who endured hardship as a righteous sufferer prepares a table before him in the presence of his enemies (Psalm 23:5). The brothers, of course, do not deserve to be at a feast because they are enemies of this royal figure at whose table they sit. Nevertheless, in his grace and kindness, Joseph welcomes undeserving sinners to dine alongside him and gives them a generous portion as an act of reconciliation and restoration. Isn’t that what God does for us in Christ?...In the gospel, Jesus mirrors the grace of Joseph by welcoming undeserving sinners to the table to receive a generous portion of his Spirit as an act of reconciliation and restoration. In Christ we are invited to his table so that we might taste and see that the Lord is good (Psalm 34:8; 1 Pet 2:3).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You SO much for going to cross, shedding Your blood, so that I can be reconciled to God.  I am undeserving of such blessing and my salvation.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.