Sunday, June 30, 2024

For when dreams increase and words grow many, there is vanity; but God is the one you must fear.

Ecclesiastes 5

For when dreams increase and words grow many, there is vanity; but God is the one you must fear. Ecclesiastes 5:7

I continue my study of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is a commentary-review of Ecclesiastes 5:7, which covers the second division of the commentary chapter titled Religion Is Meaningless without Jesus - this second division specifically is referred to in the commentary as Through Christ, We Can Approach God with Confident Reverence.  The commentary shares how in American culture "[w]e have a hard time understanding the concept of the fear of the Lord because we live in a culture that has no reverence for authority. We no longer approach parents, teachers, or coaches with respect. Lack of respect and honor has bled over into a new casual Christianity where Jesus is our...copilot and not so much our absolute, formidable King and awe-inspiring, sovereign Master.  We should humbly submit to and stand in awe of God who knows all of our sins and empty promises. People may try to object to this idea and say, “Well, that is just the Old Testament,” but Jesus warns us to fear Him who can destroy soul and body in hell (Matthew 10:28). We are called to reverent awe of God."  We are encouraged by the commentary to approach God through Jesus as the only way - John 14:6.  The Old Testament is described as temporary as it only foreshadowed how the incarnate Jesus would serve as the perfect and final sacrifice for all of humanity's sin forevermore, tearing the curtain in the temple that separated worshipers from access to God.  The commentary refers us to Hebrews 10 where Jesus is described as a better mediator and we can approach Christ in confidence.  Specifically in reference to Ecclesiastes 5:7, the commentary shares: "[d]espite our careless words and empty religion, Jesus brings us back to God. He fully cleanses us and allows us to come boldly before God’s throne. We do this individually in prayer and private worship. Jesus makes this clear in John 4 with the woman at the well. You no longer have to go to a specific physical location to worship God. You can pray and worship Him anywhere. But while we can approach God in private worship, we approach Him in a special way in corporate worship. Now, according to Ephesians 2, we are the new temple where God dwells. Hebrews 12 says that when we gather for corporate worship, we gather at Mount Zion in the presence of God Almighty, innumerable angels, and the saints who have passed on. But we are still called to listen and fear!" We are also referred to Romans 12:1 where Paul shares how believers are to "present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion - going to the cross so that I can have not only salvation but also access to God whenever and where ever I am.  Thank You Jesus that I can approach You in confidence.  I am not deserving of such a loving and caring God.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.