Monday, July 1, 2024

He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity.

Ecclesiastes 4:7-12 and 5:10-6:12

He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity. Ecclesiastes 5:10

I continue my study of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of Ecclesiastes 5:10-17, which covers the first division of the commentary chapter titled Money Is Meaningless without Jesus - this first division specifically is referred to in the commentary as Pursuing Satisfaction in Money Is Meaningless.  Ecclesiastes 5:10 cuts to the point immediately and both the commentary chapter and division title aptly encapsulate this verse.  V11 also provides insights into the heart of those who treat money and wealth as an idol - when one acquires goods for his own pleasure but they don't truly provide an advantage to the acquirer.  V12 compares the "sweet" sleep of the poor or modest laborer with that of a wealthy person who might be constantly on the run, worrying about their pursuit of money or wealth.  Vv13-14 shares how money and possessions don't last and can be easily lost - see also Matthew 6:19-21.  Vv15-16 shares how all - regardless of their wealth - will die, and wealth, while it may be passed on to future generations through inheritance, cannot stop death. Finally, v17 shares how "all the days" of a wealthy person - without God - are spent "in darkness in much vexation and sickness and anger," implying that without God we remain slaves to sin and condemned for eternity.  Believers can take comfort knowing that with God, He is with us all of our days not just when we are in our earthly bodies, but also with us for eternity in Heaven.  Believers rejoice for having such a Savior!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion.  I am not deserving of how You saved me and made me one of Your elect.  Thank You Jesus!  But again I am not deserving - my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.