Monday, July 15, 2024

Say not, “Why were the former days better than these?” For it is not from wisdom that you ask this....Consider the work of God: who can make straight what he has made crooked?

Ecclesiastes 7:1-13

Say not, “Why were the former days better than these?” For it is not from wisdom that you ask this....Consider the work of God: who can make straight what he has made crooked? Ecclesiastes 7:10, 13

I resume my study of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  This morning, I start an unassisted review of Ecclesiastes 7-11 which is a significant amount of text to cover in one day.  However, by leveraging the commentary outline, which breaks down these chapters not with divisions and associated verses, but simply with divisions that point to text throughout chapters 7-11, I will tackle these chapters in more manageable chunks.  Here are the divisions:

  1. God Has a Design for Everything. 
  2. Sin Leads to Brokenness and Meaninglessness. 
  3. The Gospel Is the Answer to Our Brokenness and Meaninglessness. 
  4. The Gospel Allows Us to Recover and Pursue God’s Wise Design.

My focus today is Ecclesiastes 7:1-13.  Here, there are two verses in my reading that emphasize how we should see God's design in all of life's circumstances (and even be thankful per 1 Thessalonians 5:18). V10 is a command that says that in the midst challenges/trials/suffering we may be currently experiencing, we should not look back at better days we had but instead we should see how God is working within these challenges/trials/suffering.  It is a reminder that God is sovereign over all the details in Heaven and on Earth, including our lives.  V13, similarly, describes how God's designs and plans cannot be stopped - His purpose will not be thwarted - see Job 42:2.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God that is before everything and in everything.  You hold all things together and You give me the breath of life.  You most importantly give me salvation.  Thank You Jesus!  I am of course not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.