Wednesday, July 3, 2024

And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him--a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

Ecclesiastes 4:7-12 and 5:10-6:12

And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him--a threefold cord is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12

I continue my study of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of Ecclesiastes 4:7-12, which covers the first part of second division of the commentary chapter titled Money Is Meaningless without Jesus - this second division specifically is referred to in the commentary as Antidotes to Satisfaction in Money, with the first part referred to as Meaningful Relationships.  Here, as the commentary titles for the division explicitly highlight, meaningful relationships offer a powerful antidote to the sinful lure, temptations, and empty promises of money/wealth/material consumption.  God designed humanity such that we should live and share our lives together - this was from the very beginning where God gave Eve to Adam in Genesis 2:18 and said "[i]t is not good that...man should be alone[.]" The most important relationship is of course a daily, lifelong and personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Your Savior.  Confess and repent from your sin and accept Him as Your Lord and Savior and He satisfies like no other (see also John 4:14).  Next, our relationships with our brothers and sisters in Christ bring purpose, meaning and satisfaction as we encourage one another in our journey with Christ towards greater spiritual maturity, as Jesus and the Holy Spirit further the sanctification process.  The hope of course is that our family is filled with believers. Unbelievers can help bring satisfaction to our lives - there is no denying this.  However, our interactions with unbelievers should always be animated by a desire to share the gospel and bring more people to Jesus Christ.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good - thank You for the satisfaction You provide - living water!  Thank You also for my brothers and sisters in Christ who encourage and support me in my journey with You.  I am not deserving of these blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please  provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.