Sunday, July 14, 2024

But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus[.]

 Acts 20:24

But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus[.] Acts 20:24

This morning, as I wrapped my preparation for my Sunday school class - on James 4:13-17, before returning to Ecclesiastes, I pause to use the Solid Joys daily devotion for today from DesiringGod.com.  Here, as the title of devotion explicitly states we are urged to see how ministry is more important than life itself.  John Piper first reminds us that ministry is not just the job of pastors, but all believers.  Piper points us to Ephesians 4:11-12 where Paul shares while pastors equip believers in the church for ministry, it is believers that do the work of ministry. Piper states: "[w]hat ministry looks like is as varied as Christians are varied. It’s not an office like elder or deacon; it’s a lifestyle devoted to making much of Christ and meeting the needs of others. It means that we “do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith” (Galatians 6:10). Whether we are bankers or bricklayers, it means that we aim at advancing other people’s faith and holiness to the glory of God."  Piper than emphasizes the key takeaway, which is to see how our work in ministry is more important than our own life.  He concludes by sharing: "[w]e need not fret about keeping ourselves alive in order to finish our ministry. God alone knows the appointed time of our service. He will decide when our death is not an interruption of our ministry, but the last act of our ministry. Henry Martyn was right when he said, “If [God] has work for me to do, I cannot die.” In other words, I am immortal until my work is done. Therefore, ministry is more important than life."  Incredibly humbling!  Serve God!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an awesome God You are that You give me the breath of life.  Thank You Jesus!  Thank You also for my salvation!  I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.