Sunday, July 7, 2024

Whatever has come to be has already been named, and it is known what man is, and that he is not able to dispute with one stronger than he.

Ecclesiastes 4:7-12 and 5:10-6:12

Whatever has come to be has already been named, and it is known what man is, and that he is not able to dispute with one stronger than he. Ecclesiastes 6:10

I continue my study of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of Ecclesiastes 6:10-12, which covers the third part of second division of the commentary chapter titled Money Is Meaningless without Jesus - this second division specifically is referred to in the commentary as Antidotes to Satisfaction in Money, with the third (and last) part referred to as Jesus. Solomon concludes chapter 6, in vv10-12, with one statement and two rhetorical questions.  In v10a, Solomon describes how God is in control as our current circumstances are not just known but named, implying they are part of a script that God is playing out.  In v10b, He  describes how humanity is known, implying how we are all broken and sinful in how we chase money, wealth and other pursuits that become idols.  Finally, in v10c, he states how humanity "is not able to dispute with one stronger than he."  God of course is stronger than humanity and in control of everything - He has a plan and it cannot be stopped.  Believers can take great hope from this because we know ultimately that our salvation is sealed and the victory over sin and death is assured as it was already accomplished by Jesus' death on the cross.  Blessed assurance indeed!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me, saved me and gives me assurance that my salvation is sealed - You are saving a place for me in Heaven.  Thank You for the comfort in knowing that I am saved, sealed, and the victory over sin and death is already won.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.