Monday, July 22, 2024

There is a vanity that takes place on earth, that there are righteous people to whom it happens according to the deeds of the wicked, and there are wicked people to whom it happens according to the deeds of the righteous.

Ecclesiastes 8

There is a vanity that takes place on earth, that there are righteous people to whom it happens according to the deeds of the wicked, and there are wicked people to whom it happens according to the deeds of the righteous. Ecclesiastes 8:14

I continue my study of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book. My focus this morning is Ecclesiastes 8 and how the takeaway of this text relates to the second division of the commentary for chapters 7-11: Sin Leads to Brokenness and Meaninglessness. V14 succinctly encapsulates the futility of life without God - regardless of what you do, apart from God sin persists.  Solomon is a product of the Old Testament and the ceremonial law that led people to believe that works (without a heart set on pleasing God) were pleasing to God.  The point of course is that Jesus Christ and His death on the cross ended the need for the ceremonial law and the sacrificial system as He died as the spotless lamb - the once and for all time perfect sacrifice for all of humanity's sinSolomon's futility pointed to the need for Jesus.  Hebrews 8 serves as a fantastic example from scripture that illustrates that what Jesus offers is infinitely better than covenant offered to Israel in the Old Testament.  God does not want animal sacrifices, He wants Your heart and life surrendered to Him.  See also Psalm 50:8; Hosea 6:6; Psalm 51:16; Psalm 40:6–8; Isaiah 1:11–31; Jeremiah 7:21–23; Hebrews 10:4–10.  Surrender and believe!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - saving me and pour out Your mercies ceaselessly. Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and compassion and mercies.  My sin is great and it is daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.