Wednesday, July 31, 2024

So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom....Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.

Ecclesiastes 9:1-6

  So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom....Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. Psalm 90:12, 14

I continue my study of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book. My focus this morning is a commentary-assisted review of Ecclesiastes 9:1-6, which the commentary outlines as the first division for chapter 9. 

Main point from the commentary for Ecclesiastes 9:1-10: Death can render all of life’s actions meaningless, but Jesus gives an abundant and eternal life. 

Excerpts from the commentary, including from the introduction and for the the first division:

  • "That is Solomon’s point here in Ecclesiastes. It does not matter how wise you are, how much money you make, how much comfort you have, how successful you are, how religious you are, or how cleanly you live your life. Death is the great equalizer.
  • "Solomon was a sage who methodically examined the reality of death in this cursed world. He analyzed how the righteous and the wise and their actions are in God’s hands and how man does not know if that indicates God’s love or hate (9:1). Here is the basic idea: God sovereignly rules over our lives, which according to Ecclesiastes 3 are subject to His timing, and our surroundings give us no clue as to what God really thinks of us (Enns, Ecclesiastes, 82). We cannot use our circumstances to determine if God loves us or hates us, accepts us or rejects us."
  • "Being in God’s hand is not synonymous with prosperity, health, or a pain-free life (Hunt, Ecclesiastes, 51). God’s people do suffer, but we trust that Jesus is enough, that He is in control, and that His timing and plan are best in the midst of the suffering!"
  • "Solomon makes an explicit connection with the fall. We have inherited corruption, sin, and death from our first father, Adam (cf. Romans 5:12-19). If any of us doubt this reality, we can just look at our children and see that we all inherit a sin nature."
  • "Ecclesiastes 9 makes clear that all have sinned and fallen short of God’s glory, and the wages for that sin is death for all. Because I sin, death will come for me. Because you sin, death will come for you."
  • "[I]f life under the sun is all there is, then death wipes away everything—all our memories, all our possessions, all our feelings, and all our relationships. Plus, if life under the sun is all there is, there is nothing beyond the grave. On the other hand, the living at least have hope because they can be conscious of the fact that they will die. That is the advantage. The living have a chance to reckon with the reality of death and do something about it (Garrett, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, 331). They can enjoy life as a gift, repent of evil, and live differently in the face of death."
  • "Do not live every day as if it were your last, but do live as if you have a set number of days. Live as if you do not get an endless supply. Living your life with this in mind is wise because it will help you not be careless with your spouse, miss out on time with your children, be indifferent at your job, or other such distractions."

See also Psalm 90:12-14

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion - thank You for Your amazing grace and the salvation You provide which is the greatest gift of all time.  I am not deserving.  My sin is daily and it frustrates me.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.