Tuesday, July 30, 2024

[Death] is the same for all, since the same event happens to the righteous and the wicked, to the good and the evil, to the clean and the unclean, to him who sacrifices and him who does not sacrifice. As the good one is, so is the sinner, and he who swears is as he who shuns an oath.

Ecclesiastes 9:1-6

   [Death] is the same for all, since the same event happens to the righteous and the wicked, to the good and the evil, to the clean and the unclean, to him who sacrifices and him who does not sacrifice. As the good one is, so is the sinner, and he who swears is as he who shuns an oath. Ecclesiastes 9:2

I continue my study of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book. My focus this morning is an unassisted review of Ecclesiastes 9:1-6, which the commentary outlines as the first division for chapter 9. This division describes how death is something that awaits us all and it makes me also think about James 4:14-15 that our lives are simply a mist and it is only through the grace of God that we have breath for any given day.  We must be humble, fear, love and worship God - this is why we exist.  God's grace is so amazing not only because are our lives are simply a mist in His hands, but also because all of us are sinful and the wages of sin of death (Romans 6:23).  Believers should not have pretense that because we have faith, we perhaps are more deserving of salvation - hogwash!  My sin is no better or worse than anyone else's sin!  We don't get what we do deserve (death), but we (believers) do get what we don't deserve (mercy and amazing grace).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who pours out for me daily rich mercies of forgiveness, and gives me life to the full!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not by a long shot deserving.  My sin never stops - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.