Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.”

James 4:13-17

Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” James 4:15

This morning and over the next week, I pause my study of Ecclesiastes to study James 4:13-4:17 in preparation for my Sunday school class where I am leading our discussion on this text.  Before I jump specifically into this text, I think it is important and relevant to set some context for the book of James.  For this aspect, I lean on the John MacArthur Bible Commentary.  The commentary provides this useful context:

  • "The recipients of this book were Jewish believers who had been dispersed (1: 1), possibly as a result of Stephen’s martyrdom (Acts 7, c. A.D. 31– 34), but more likely due to the persecution under Herod Agrippa I (Acts 12, c. A.D. 44)."
  • "The author refers to his audience as “brethren” fifteen times (1:2, 16, 19; 2:1, 5, 14; 3:1, 10, 12; 4:11; 5:7, 9, 10, 12, 19), which was a common epithet among the first-century Jews. Not surprisingly then, James is Jewish in its content."
  • "James, with its devotion to direct, pungent statements on wise living, is reminiscent of the Book of Proverbs. It has a practical emphasis, not emphasizing theoretical knowledge, but godly behavior. James wrote with a passionate desire for his readers to be uncompromisingly obedient to the Word of God."

The commentary outlines James as follows, sharing first:"[d]ue to its complexity, there are a number of ways to outline the book in order to grasp the arrangement of its content. One way is to order it around a series of tests by which the genuineness of a person’s faith may be measured."

  1. The Test of Perseverance in Suffering (1:2–12) 
  2. The Test of Blame in Temptation (1:13–18)
  3. The Test of Response to the Word (1:19–27)
  4. The Test of Impartial Love (2:1–13)
  5. The Test of Righteous Works (2:14–26)
  6. The Test of the Tongue (3:1–12)
  7. The Test of Humble Wisdom (3:13–18)
  8. The Test of Worldly Indulgence (4:1–12)
  9. The Test of Dependence (4:13–17)
  10. The Test of Patient Endurance (5:1–11)
  11. The Test of Truthfulness (5:12) 
  12. The Test of Prayerfulness (5:13–18)
  13. The Test of True Faith (5:19, 20)

The Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book, outlines James as follows: 

  1. Faith Perseveres (1:1-18)
  2. Faith Obeys (1:19-25)
  3. Faith Loves (1:26-2:13)
  4. Faith Acts (2:14-19)
  5. Faith Sacrifices (2:20-24)
  6. Faith Risks (2:25-26)
  7. Faith Speaks (3:1-12)
  8. Faith Submits (3:13-4:12)
  9. Faith Lasts (4:13-5:20)

Despite the differences in how the commentaries outline James, both generally see James as a book where the author looks closely at how faith is measured, particularly with respect to the relationship between faith and works.  Both also see James as a book offering practical guidance for living as God intends - challenging us to be bold in our faith in how it shows up for others to see. The Christ-Centered Exposition commentary shares this: "[f]aith moves Christians to take steps of radical obedience to make the gospel known all around the world."

Now....onto an unassisted review of James 4:13-17.  Vv13-14 should be viewed as an admonishment for those who fail to both see and heed God in their future plans.  James shares that we do not know for sure what each day will bring - the implication here is while we do not know what tomorrow will bring but God does as He is in control.  He certainly has a plan for our lives and it is our role to understand what this is.  Romans 12:2 is instructive here.  We should be thanking God for each day He gives us and seeking transformation and renewal of our minds to more like God - to think like God so that He can guide our thoughts and steps - we become slaves to God (2 Corinthians 10:5) as His Word is a lamp unto our feet (Psalm 119:105).  Similar to Ecclesiastes where Solomon shares how life is meaningless and futile without God, v14 also shares our lives are a mist that comes and goes.  We should view our lives as a part of something bigger - as part of God's plan. V15 turns to a positive statement (vs don't do) where James urges us to seek God's will vs our own. V16-17 then turns back to negative where James admonishes those who do not seek God's will but arrogantly and sinfully follow their own desires.  Be transformed by the renewing of your mind (lean into God and study of His Word) and you are better able to know God's will for your life.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Jesus, You are indeed King of Kings and sovereign over all including all the details of my life.  Thank You for the breath of life today and of course my salvation.  I am not deserving of such blessings as my sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin.  Help me lean into You and be transformed by the renewing of my mind so that I can better know Your will for my life.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and energy.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.