Friday, July 26, 2024

For the protection of wisdom is like the protection of money, and the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom preserves the life of him who has it....A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left.

Ecclesiastes 7-11

For the protection of wisdom is like the protection of money, and the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom preserves the life of him who has it....A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left. Ecclesiastes 7:12, 10:2

I continue my study of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book. My focus this morning is a commentary assisted review of Ecclesiastes chapters 7-11 and the commentary's first division for these chapters - God Has a Design for Everything. 

Before jumping into how the commentary discusses its first division, I'm starting with the main idea and the introduction for the commentary chapter.

Title of this chapter of the commentary (which looks at Ecclesiastes chapters 7-11): Wisdom in a Meaningless World.

Main idea: Wisdom does not always work out immediately in this cursed world, but because of the gospel, wisdom does work out ultimately.

Excerpts from the introduction to this chapter of the commentary:

  • "Solomon...is teetering on the edge of unbelief because of the mess he sees in the world. He observes that living by God’s wisdom does not always work out. The faithful often suffer and the wicked often prosper. This situation is futile! Therefore, Solomon takes on the role of a skeptic in order to observe the world and ask the question, Is there meaning in this cursed world? His experiment causes him to conclude that everything is meaningless."
  • "In Ecclesiastes 7–11 [Solomon] observes the unjust nature of things, and he concludes again that everything is absurd. However, instead of this driving him away from God, it actually drives him to God in faith."

Excerpts from the commentary's first division God Has a Design for Everything:

  • "God has a design for everything in creation, and the wisdom literature calls living according to that design “wisdom.”  God made the world to work a certain way, and you should live your life in that way—you should walk in wisdom (i.e., walk in the right way; Eccl 10:2)—because it will preserve your life. Ecclesiastes 7:12 states that “wisdom is protection . . . and the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom preserves the life of its owner.” Living against God’s design is foolishness because it threatens your life, whereas living according to it is wisdom because it leads to an abundant life."
  • "[W]hile Solomon observes these wise principles, he also talks much about the limit of man’s knowledge. Ecclesiastes 11:5 says, “Just as you don’t know the path of the wind, or how bones develop in the womb of a pregnant woman, so you don’t know the work of God who makes everything.” Man’s observations are limited to life lived “under the sun” in this cursed world, and even that is too much because we do not know the path the wind will take (11:5; cf. 8:17). Since our observation is limited, we cannot figure everything out. One of the main reasons we cannot figure everything out in this cursed world is because things do not always work out the way they are supposed to work out (8:14-17). Living by wisdom does not always make life go smoothly. Why? What is going on? Why is there suffering? Why do these wisdom principles not work? The problem is that humanity has departed from God’s design. The Bible calls this departure “sin,” and sin leads to brokenness and meaninglessness."

God's design and wisdom is perfect! Lean into and surrender your life to Jesus and follow Him!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - saving me while still a sinner.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and grace.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.