Thursday, July 25, 2024

So if a person lives many years, let him rejoice in them all; but let him remember that the days of darkness will be many. All that comes is vanity.

Ecclesiastes 11

 So if a person lives many years, let him rejoice in them all; but let him remember that the days of darkness will be many. All that comes is vanity. Ecclesiastes 11:8

I continue my study of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book. My focus this morning is an unassisted reading of Ecclesiastes 11 and how the takeaway of this text relates to the second division of the commentary for chapters 7-11: Sin Leads to Brokenness and Meaninglessness.  The chapter broadly paints - as does all of Ecclesiastes - futility apart from God.  Here Solomon describes how pain, suffering and trials await all of us.  Once again, as posted yesterday, since the Fall, all of humanity experiences sickness, pain, suffering, etc. Yet, this morning, as it is important to see Jesus in all of scripture, I am reminded of several passages that provide great hope.  John 16:33 is one such text as Jesus shares with the disciples how they will experience "tribulation" but they should "take heart [because] [He] has overcome the world."  This provides hope for our present experience as Jesus never leaves or forsakes us and as our Shepherd he loves and cares for us in our time of need. Another such text is Revelation 21:4 where John shares a vision of the New Heaven and New Earth and how God speaks in a "loud voice" to the saints who have been saved at end times "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."  There are of course many more passages that give us hope, particularly for those who feel apart from God and do not feel His presence (even though He never leaves or forsakes You).  Jeremiah speaks to this in his letter to exiles (where he speaks to those taken captive from Jerusalem and living in exile in Babylon) - see Jeremiah 29:13 where God shares with the exiles that "they will seek [Him] and find [Him] when they seek [Him] with all [their] heart."  This promise rings true today as it did back then - that if we seek God with all of our heart, we WILL find Him.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who never leaves or forsakes me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of my salvation, nor any of the ways You bless me.  My sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continues to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.