Friday, July 5, 2024

Better is the sight of the eyes than the wandering of the appetite: this also is vanity and a striving after wind.

Ecclesiastes 4:7-12 and 5:10-6:12

Better is the sight of the eyes than the wandering of the appetite: this also is vanity and a striving after wind. Ecclesiastes 6:9

I continue my study of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of Ecclesiastes 5:18-6:9, which covers the second part of second division of the commentary chapter titled Money Is Meaningless without Jesus - this second division specifically is referred to in the commentary as Antidotes to Satisfaction in Money, with the first second part referred to as Contentment and Joy in What God Has Given You.  Here, as the commentary titles describe, the text today emphasizes how, while God gives us money and possessions to enjoy, we are not to lust over more money or possessions such that they become idols.  V5:18 shares that it is "good and fitting is to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of his life that God has given him, for this is his lot."  V19 shares similarly: "[e]veryone also to whom God has given wealth and possessions and power to enjoy them, and to accept his lot and rejoice in his toil--this is the gift of God." V20 is interesting and worthy of reflection because even after few reads it is less clear: "[f]or he will not much remember the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart."  Clearly, Solomon is connecting v20 to v18-19; how he is occupied with joy in his heart is less clear.  My sense is that he is making this connection to describe how God gives humanity money and possessions to enjoy, much like he gives us the natural world to enjoy, and this joy that God gives us is consuming. Then, starting in chapter 6:1-2, Solomon describes an evil where a man is given by God wealth and possessions but then God does not give him the power to enjoy them and they are enjoyed by a stranger.  The meaning of this is not clear after reading one or two times.  Perhaps this stranger stole them, and Solomon is describing how things of this world are fleeting and we should not too much hope in them because of circumstances such as theft, etc. Continuing in vv3-6, Solomon describes how one can have much money, possessions, and children, and also live a long life, yet "his soul is not satisfied with life's good things, and he also has no burial."  This proves the futility of life focused on money and possessions - we should enjoy them but focus on finding satisfaction in God first and foremost and see how all things are from Him (see James 1:14-17). The text for today ends with a gem from Solomon who shares how what we have and can see with our own eyes should be sufficient for our satisfaction vs what we cannot see but lust after. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Father God, You are an awesome God who provides all that I need for my joy and satisfaction.  I am not deserving of how You bless me, most importantly for my salvation.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.