Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Be Aware of "Sin Slipping In Among You"

Today's Reading
Numbers Chp 31

Here I see God's admonishment to avoid others who are sinful. God commands Moses to take vengeance on the Midianites (see also here).

15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them. 16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD's people. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

19 "All of you who have killed anyone or touched anyone who was killed must stay outside the camp seven days. On the third and seventh days you must purify yourselves and your captives. 20 Purify every garment as well as everything made of leather, goat hair or wood." (Numbers 31:15-20)

God knows that we as humans are prone to sin and he seeks to protect us and to keep us pure.

This is consistent with Christ in the New Testament as found in Jude:

3Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. 4For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. (Jude 1:3-4)

The key is, I believe to reach out to sinners to save them but be wary of sin so we can protect ourselves.

I was thinking of saying "love the sinner but hate the sin"....but then I read this. Now I am inclined to just say, "love the sinner, but beware of Satan trying to entice you to sin". This may mean depending on your circumstances, to avoid certain situations. Or, depending on your gifts, abilities, and trust in God, it may mean understand what you are dealing with (sin) but confront sin and speak and act in Truth.

My Prayer: Lord, your wisdom knows no bounds. When I am dealing with difficult situations and seek guidance and protection...I know I can come to you and you will guide and protect me. Thank you for how you have protected me and helped me make wise decisions. Forgive me for not always making wise decisions and for not following your guidance. Help me trust more in you and follow you. I know you will protect me.