Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lean On God and Speak Truth Into Each Others' Lives

Today's Reading
Deuteronomy Chp 1:9-18
Matthew Henry Commentary

While this passage specifically addresses Moses' charge to leaders and judges among the Israelites, there are broader points I see:

- God is the ultimate authority and we should be led by Him first
"...Do not be afraid of any man, for judgment belongs to God." (verse 17)

- God places others in our lives so that they can speak truth (from God) into our lives. Again the scripture here may speak specifically about leaders and judges but I see a role for any brother or sister who can speak truth into my life.
15 So I took the leading men of your tribes, wise and respected men, and appointed them to have authority over you—as commanders of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties and of tens and as tribal officials. 16 And I charged your judges at that time: Hear the disputes between your brothers and judge fairly, whether the case is between brother Israelites or between one of them and an alien. 17 Do not show partiality in judging; hear both small and great alike. (verses 15-17)

To resolve difficult questions and situations, I see the broader point as go to God first, then go to brothers and wise counsel second. Another case for how God sees how it is critical for us to walk together with God - we cannot do this alone...

My Prayer: Lord, it is amazing how you care for me. You place people in my life, brothers and sisters that serve to lift me up and to help me along during difficult times. Forgive me if I ignore wise counsel you place in my life, if I judge against your will, or if I am not enough of a brother to others. Thank you for the brothers in my life and please help me be both be a brother to others and see it when others are being a brother to me.