Monday, August 23, 2010

Protection Through Christ is Only Offered to Those Who Stay in Him

Today's Reading
Numbers Chps 34 to 36

As I continue to read about how the Lord is preparing the Israelites to enter Canaan, I find myself struggling with an understanding of what I am reading - more so than I have with most chapters I have read so far in the Old Testament. I have sought additional commentary here.

The chapter I struggle with the most is in chapter 35 where the Lord is instructing Moses and the Israelites about how to deal with murderers - those who intentionally kill and those who do so accidentally.

From the commentary, one of the key themes that strike me is the concept of how these "cities of refuge" are analogous to seeking protection through Christ. The commentary further supposes that protection of Christ only extends to those who maintain faith in Christ.

26 " 'But if the accused ever goes outside the limits of the city of refuge to which he has fled 27 and the avenger of blood finds him outside the city, the avenger of blood may kill the accused without being guilty of murder. 28 The accused must stay in his city of refuge until the death of the high priest; only after the death of the high priest may he return to his own property. (Numbers 35: 26-28)

The commentary references Romans as additional support for this message:

1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1)

My Prayer: Lord, thank you for your protection - as I ponder how I have sinned and lived my live, I am amazed at how you protected me and saved me from sin. Forgive me for my sin and for my neglect of you. Thank you for your love and grace as I know I don't deserve it. Help my desire and love for you grow such that my heart can be purified and transformed - which I know only you can do.