Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Does Joy Exist In The Depths of Tragedy

Job Chp 1

I am not certain if I will ever face tragedy as Job has. Job has lost everything, including his entire family.

Yet in the depths of this tragedy, Job finds joy.

20 At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship 21 and said:
   “Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
   and naked I will depart.

The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
   may the name of the LORD be praised.”

 22 In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing. 

I can't be certain how I will react but I have my doubts that I can react as Job has to such tragedy.   This story is a stark reminder that we need to look for God's will and His perfect plan in all circumstances.  Our first thought might be to view suffering for suffering's sake - an end to itself.  Yet suffering in the name of the Lord, for His perfect will and plan is an entirely different thing.  Suffering as a means to and end.  This is of course tough to fathom but worthy of prayer that we can suffer in such a way.

My Prayer: Lord, I have seen you perfect will and plan unfold and I am thankful for you use me....I am an ordinary person yet you give me great strength and you use everything that I have for your will and glory.  I know I am not perfect but you are.  For this I ask that you both forgive me - for my lack of trust and obedience in you - and that you do use me.  Purify me and strengthen me so that you can use me fully.