Friday, December 18, 2015

I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Freedom
Philippians 4

 I can do all this through him who gives me strength. v13

While the devotion explicitly focuses on physical needs and material desires.  Yet for me there is a broader implication.  Every person will experience up and downs in life, times of plenty and times of want - whether this be financial provision, health, relationships, etc.  Paul reminds us that God is what carries us through these peaks and valleys.

In the last days, God writes to the church in Smyrna and sums it up this way:

I know your afflictions and your poverty—yet you are rich! Revelations 2:9

Even when we have success, it is not through our own hands.  See post here and the reference to Deuteronomy 8:

You may say to yourself, "My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me."  But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today. v17-18

Earlier in Philippians Paul refers to his worldly gains as garbage in comparison to Christ:

But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. Philippians 3:7-9

Additional references on material focus here and via John 10:10.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, what an awesome God.  You provide everything that I need and in an abundance that is indescribable.  Thank You Jesus for providing abundantly and to the full.  I am not worth such blessing.  I am easily distracted and consumed by the world - please forgive me.  Help me overcome and turn from such sin and towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Heal her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo and radiation.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.