Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. 20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does.

The Main Thing
John 5

Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. v19-20

The theme the author pursues is one of living as Christ does by following Him, His desires, and His will.  This only comes when we are rooted in Him and know Him.  Another theme I see that is implied in today's devotion is parenting - the verse in John specifically refers to God the Father and Jesus as the Son but I believe this also refers to earthly fathers and sons (or daughters).  In my role as a father, I must be Jesus to my sons because I am the primary influence in their life.

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, I love you and I love what You have done for me - You have modeled Fatherhood for me by being the Heavenly Father that I desire to be for my own sons....how great You are!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love myself...I fail to be bold in my faith...to share the gospel, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus - help me turn from such sin towards You.   Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure Lisa of her cancer and the side effects from chemo and radiation.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin...and You! Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.