Saturday, December 2, 2017

Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son.”

1 Kings 21

Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son.” v28-29

Over chapters 18-21, we see God exercising amazing patience with Ahab and Israel.  In chapter 18, the Lord, through Elijah, demonstrates his power to those who worship Baal by burning up the altar and by bringing rain to drought savaged Israel. 

In chapter 19, we God encouraging Elijah by providing for him, by appearing to him in person and by providing a successor Elisha.  

In chapter 20, God delivers the armies of Ben-Hadad to Ahab.  Contrary to God's instructions (v42), Ahab spares Ben Hadad's life.  One of the Lord's prophets (unnamed), condemns Ahab.

In chapter 21, Ahab and his wife Jezebel conspire to kill and steal Naboth's vineyard.  Elijah confronts Ahab and once again Ahab is condemned (v20-24). Despite very strong words describing the sin of Ahab and Jezebel (v25-26), Ahab is spared.

God is indeed slow to anger and abounding in love. We should not claim that our sin is any less than that of Ahab - our sin may just be different.

[F]or all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God[.] Romans 3:23

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 1 John 1:8

Thank You Jesus for Your amazing patience!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an amazing God You are that You are so patient, slow to anger and abounding in love.  I am not worth such love, I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.   Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.