Sunday, December 17, 2017

The word of the Lord you have spoken is good, Hezekiah replied.

2 Kings 20

The word of the Lord you have spoken is good,” Hezekiah replied. v19

Isaiah delivers a grim prophecy to Hezekiah:


Then Isaiah said to Hezekiah, “Hear the word of the Lord: The time will surely come when everything in your palace, and all that your predecessors have stored up until this day, will be carried off to Babylon. Nothing will be left, says the Lord. And some of your descendants, your own flesh and blood who will be born to you, will be taken away, and they will become eunuchs in the palace of the king of Babylon.” v16-18

The Macarthur Bible Commentary indicates that this a "surprising" reaction from Hezekiah and that perhaps Hezekiah is somewhat relieved that such doom will come to pass only after he is gone.

Yet such a reaction causes one to think - what is our reaction to God's will for our lives?

Jesus willingly submitted His life to God's will by going to the cross:

My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done. Matthew 26:42

God does not promise us a trouble free life (see yesterday's post) so we should be prepared to view our circumstances through God's lens.  God is in control (Colossians 1:16-17) and He will either allow or cause our circumstances.

Our circumstances may be difficult yet we cannot begin to understand the "goodness" (using Hezekiah's words) of difficult circumstances until we draw closer to God (Romans 12:2).  God "transforms" us by "renewing" our minds.  Of course it is only God who can give us such "renewing".

God please help me understand - good or bad - how my circumstances are Your will for my life and how Your will and plans for my life are perfect, for Your glory, and my good.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God, full of grace and love for me...even though I am sinful and broken.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such grace and love...I am harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome such sin and turn towards You instead.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.