Friday, December 15, 2017

So the Lord was very angry with Israel and removed them from his presence. Only the tribe of Judah was left, and even Judah did not keep the commands of the Lord their God. They followed the practices Israel had introduced. Therefore the Lord rejected all the people of Israel; he afflicted them and gave them into the hands of plunderers, until he thrust them from his presence.

2 Kings 17

So the Lord was very angry with Israel and removed them from his presence. Only the tribe of Judah was left, and even Judah did not keep the commands of the Lord their God. They followed the practices Israel had introduced. Therefore the Lord rejected all the people of Israel; he afflicted them and gave them into the hands of plunderers, until he thrust them from his presence. v18-20

God is full of grace yet His patience is not unlimited.  We all die and will face judgement - if we have not accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior then we face eternal damnation.  At the end of times, God waits until the very last moments to give people an opportunity to repent and turn towards Him yet even then the appointed time arrives.

We see this here with Israel where the case against Israel is laid out in v7-20.

God had seen enough with Israel and His patience had run out.

John Piper explains the limits of God's love and patience:

"This means that God’s patience with unrepentant sinners will not last forever. They eventually cross a line beyond which God will not pursue them anymore. He will let them go, and they will never be forgiven. At this point, whatever love he was pursuing them with (Romans 2:4) is gone, and they become the objects of his eternal wrath (Revelation 14:10-11)." 

Piper quotes Jesus to define the trigger for the end of God's patience:

Whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come” (Matthew 12:32).

Jesus also makes it clear that love of God is of paramount importance.

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.  Matthew 22:37-38

It is clear that Israel failed to do this and God's patience ran out.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who is full of compassion, grace and patience.  Your justice is perfect and Your love never runs out - even when You discipline us.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not worth such love because I worry.  Please forgive me and help me turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.