Wednesday, August 5, 2020

But the people did not listen. Manasseh led them astray, so that they did more evil than the nations the Lord had destroyed before the Israelites.

2 Kings 20-21 and 2 Chronicles 32-33

But the people did not listen. Manasseh led them astray, so that they did more evil than the nations the Lord had destroyed before the Israelites. 2 Kings 21:9, 2 Chronicles 33:9

Day 191 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as this morning as the throne passes from Hezekiah to his son Manasseh.  My commentary* indicates that although "Judah has experienced a spiritual revival" under Hezekiah, "every generation must determine its own commitment, and the fibers of faith are so fragile that a single misguided leader can entice the hearts of believers to worship lesser gods. Whether it is because Hezekiah was so busy leading his nation to God that he neglected his own children, or because his son, at the age of 12, takes the reins of power at far too early an age, the sad fact is that Manasseh turns the people from God back to idolatry and other pagan practices".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Manasseh did not seek God and he led Judah to turn from God.

For me this strikes a chord as I pray that both Zach and Dustin acknowledge their need for Jesus, accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior, and develop a daily/lifelong relationship with Jesus where with every breath and bone in their body they seek to honor and glory God.  This is a decision each must make on their own and all I can do is model Jesus in my life and pray for both of them.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, I love You and I am grateful that YOU gave me faith and the many blessings that come with faith - I know there is a long way for me to go and You continue to work in my heart and life but I have seen Your hand in my life and I am grateful.  I also know I am not deserving.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.