Wednesday, August 26, 2020

But if I say, “I will not mention his [God's] word or speak anymore in his name,” his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot....But the Lord is with me like a mighty warrior; so my persecutors will stumble and not prevail. They will fail and be thoroughly disgraced; their dishonor will never be forgotten.

Jeremiah 17:19-20:13

But if I say, “I will not mention his [God's] word or speak anymore in his name,” his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot....But the Lord is with me like a mighty warrior; so my persecutors will stumble and not prevail. They will fail and be thoroughly disgraced; their dishonor will never be forgotten. Jeremiah 20:9, 11

Day 212 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with my study of Jeremiah. This morning my reading covers much ground.  My commentary* starts with a description of how God's message to Judah through Jeremiah emphasizes the importance of Sabbath rest (Jeremiah 17:19-27) - see John Piper for more on this.  It then moves to a message (including an illustration) from God to Jeremiah that God is the potter and the heavens and earth are all in His hands - He is in control (Jeremiah 18:1-17). My focus this morning is the remainder of the reading where my commentary* describes how Jeremiah learns of a conspiracy against him (Jeremiah 18:18), and he reacts in anger towards God (Jeremiah 18:19-23). Despite his anger, my commentary points to how "Jeremiah nevertheless continues to take God’s message to the people".  Jeremiah is beaten and imprisoned (Jeremiah 20:1-2), feels* "betrayed" and expresses* "self-pity" (Jeremiah 20:7-10, 14-18). Yet, through it all, Jeremiah cannot help but feel a desire to worship and praise God.

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

I am reminded of how Peter and John stand before the Sanhedrin - threatened with arrest and physical harm and death - boldly proclaim: 

As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard. Acts 4:20

Such is the life of a believer - Genesis 3 promises difficulties for believers and Jesus tells us as much:

“I have told you these things [see John 16 full chapter], so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Yes...life is full of challenges, difficulties, suffering, etc., but Jesus never leaves us or forsakes us and with the Holy Spirit and our salvation, we will endure.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is with me always - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your love and the salvation and rest only You provide - the greatest gift of all time.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love as my sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.