Sunday, August 23, 2020

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

 Jeremiah 10-12

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

Day 209 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with my study of Jeremiah. Jeremiah persists in warning Judah about her wicked ways, this morning primarily focusing on idolatry. My commentary* describes God's message through Jeremiah as one where idols fashioned by man are no match for the One True God:

No one is like you, Lord; you are great, and your name is mighty in power. Who should not fear you, King of the nations? This is your due. Among all the wise leaders of the nations and in all their kingdoms, there is no one like you. Jeremiah 10:6-7

But the Lord is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King. When he is angry, the earth trembles; the nations cannot endure his wrath. Jeremiah 10:10

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

My commentary* goes on to describe how Jeremiah warns Judah of Babylonian captivity and how God is both angry and saddened by Judah's wickedness and inability to keep its covenant made between Israel and God:

The Lord said to me, “Proclaim all these words in the towns of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem: ‘Listen to the terms of this covenant and follow them. From the time I brought your ancestors up from Egypt until today, I warned them again and again, saying, “Obey me.” But they did not listen or pay attention; instead, they followed the stubbornness of their evil hearts. So I brought on them all the curses of the covenant I had commanded them to follow but that they did not keep.’” Jeremiah 11:6-8

Jeremiah does what God asks, but this message falls on deaf ears as Judah plots against Jeremiah (Jeremiah 11:18-19).  Jeremiah himself becomes angry at God yet God meets Jeremiah right where he is - in his anger - and shares a glimpse of His plans for Judah - to restore her.

But after I uproot them, I will again have compassion and will bring each of them back to their own inheritance and their own country. And if they learn well the ways of my people and swear by my name, saying, ‘As surely as the Lord lives’—even as they once taught my people to swear by Baal—then they will be established among my people. Jeremiah 12:15-16

God wants a RELATIONSHIP with us. This means we spend time with Him...we question Him, we pour out our deepest concerns and worries with Him.  He wants us to DEPEND on Him.  He hears all of our cries, knows our circumstances, and He responds to us with love and compassion.  

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves us and who wants a relationship with us - You know everything about us and You are always with us - we simply need to surrender our lives to You and come to You - to depend on You...the One True God.  Thank You Jesus for adopting me into Your family.  I am not deserving of Your love.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.