Friday, August 28, 2020

Then Jeremiah said to all the officials and all the people: “The Lord sent me to prophesy against this house and this city all the things you have heard. Now reform your ways and your actions and obey the Lord your God. Then the Lord will relent and not bring the disaster he has pronounced against you. As for me, I am in your hands; do with me whatever you think is good and right. Be assured, however, that if you put me to death, you will bring the guilt of innocent blood on yourselves and on this city and on those who live in it, for in truth the Lord has sent me to you to speak all these words in your hearing.”

2 Kings 23, 2 Chronicles 35-36, and Jeremiah 26 

Then Jeremiah said to all the officials and all the people: “The Lord sent me to prophesy against this house and this city all the things you have heard. Now reform your ways and your actions and obey the Lord your God. Then the Lord will relent and not bring the disaster he has pronounced against you. As for me, I am in your hands; do with me whatever you think is good and right. Be assured, however, that if you put me to death, you will bring the guilt of innocent blood on yourselves and on this city and on those who live in it, for in truth the Lord has sent me to you to speak all these words in your hearing.” Jeremiah 26:12-15

Day 214 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with my study of Jeremiah. My commentary* describes how Assyria falls, Babylonia emerges, and how Egypt allies with the remnant of forces from Assyria to address the emerging Babylonian threat. Egyptian forces must go through Judah and Israel and Josiah goes out to attack Egypt and is killed in battle (see map below from https://ibiblemaps.com/death-josiah) - (2 Kings 23 and 2 Chronicles 35-36).

Josiah is replaced by his son Jehoahaz who "does evil in the eyes of the Lord" and he is taken captive by Egypt and another of Josiah's sons Eliakim (renamed by Egypt to Jehoiakim) is installed as a puppet king and he also "does evil in the eyes of the Lord".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Meanwhile, God instructs Jeremiah to deliver another warning to Jerusalem and is confronted, charged and threatened with death. Jeremiah stands firmly on the strength of God who is able to protect us.

As I posted a couple of days ago, believers are called to be bold and to make public stands for Jesus - even in the face of physical harm or other serious threats to our lives and livelihoods.

I pray that God gives me the strength to be bold.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is able to protect me from harm - thank You Jesus for how You HAVE protected me from harm.  I am undeserving of Your love and protection.  I know I am often NOT bold and this is a sin - I too often cower in my faith.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.